So it seems like nothing has been accomplished since last post. That is not at all true. Sure, Meg and I lead extremely busy lives, but that doesn't mean we still aren't working on this goal.
We found out that due to my continuing involvement with Winters College at York University, the end of February is not feasible anymore. So, it looks like the date will be pushed back to the first weekend in March. Which day of the weekend has yet to be determined.
We also found out that it in fact takes 12 ponytails to make one wig... so the goal for two wigs might seem unfathomable to reach. In any event, we were originally looking for 12 ponytails anyway.
A budget is beginning to take form. We know the areas we will need to pay into (venue, food, publicity, and contingency) and the areas we hope we get completely donated. Meg and I are keeping our fingers crossed that we can accomplish that - I have complete faith.
We also started compiling a list of names for a team of people to help us get the event even further off the ground. We know we need someone to look after our money, someone to help us with PR and someone to organize all the artwork and entertainment. As much as Meg and I would like to do it ourselves (and I know we are completely capable too), that would involve us quitting our jobs and doing this full time. But alas, there are bills to pay and rent to maintain... but I'm sure when we approach these talented folks they will not disappoint us and help us come out on top!
Legalities are still a bit of a concern. The way I'm thinking we need to be headed looks long and dreary - but that can't be our only hope. This is what I found so far:
www.bloombergs.ca/non_profit.php There is a wealth of information on this site for Charity/Non-Profit. It recommends that it should be done through incorporation to provide "Limited Liability" protection to the Officers of the Charity. (UHG - sounds very much like what I just got out of with WCC - no thanks, I need a break from all of that)
And how to register: www.cra.gc.ca/charities
I'm sure all it takes is deeper looking. Meg is going to be checking out the Canadian Cancer Society's website when she gets back from her vacation.
Saturday, October 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment