Friday, November 14, 2008

Application: DONE

Well, I feel so much better now that is all done!

Yesterday, Meg and I met at the Lunch Box right outside Keele Station to fill out an application she found on the Canadian Cancer Society's website. Basically, this is exactly what we were looking for. If our application is approved we will get "community partnership" and that will help us solve all of our legality woes. We can obtain tax receipts from our individual donors and a logo that will help prove our legitimacy - not to mention a letter that formally states we are legit from the Cancer Society.

It took us a lot longer to fill out the form than expected. We were hoping to do it on the coffee table before heading out the door to drop it off by hand. It ended up being two pages long with very little space to explain ourselves and much more thinking was going to be necessary. And if you know me (and I'm sure Meg will agree) I'm much more productive if I'm in the presence of food. So instead of venturing out to 10 Alcorn Ave by St. Clair Station, we headed to Keele Station.

Basically as we devoured some of the greatest mushroom soup I have ever tasted, we made our first official budget, our first official draft of the Organization Committee and a real mission statement. We made phone calls to our most trusted friends to get them on board and so far we have:

Scarlet O'Neil
Shera Everett-Singh
Erin Jasiura

Unfortunately for us, a career in the Fine Arts is almost more demanding than being in enrolled in Fine Arts classes, so we actually got turned down by some people. Not to worry, its totally understandable. We have made plans to meet every Monday with this group of fine young women, starting Monday, November 17th at Niche.

After printing out a very neatly written draft of our application this morning, Meg and I got dressed in our finest and headed to the closest main office of the Canadian Cancer Society. There a very wonderful receptionist helped us deliever it to the apporpriate office (to the desk of Sharon Ross) who ensured that it would make it to her office by next week.

Now I guess we play the waiting game until we hear back from them.

Sharing our idea with the three girls is going to be great though. More people to share our vision and more people to bring their talents to the table.

No comments: